Monday, January 26, 2009

Comfort Foods

As part of a blog ring for my Ravelry OT: Insanity group, a topic of comfort foods has been selected as our next subject. With the cold weather, many comfort foods came to my mind. My mother used to make wonderful pot roasts with potatoes and carrots. When I lived in New York, I used to love to put on a big pot of chili and let it cook all day! But what I finally decided on is something that EVERYONE in my family loves for me to make, chicken and dumplings. This is not a hard recipe and can be found on any Bisquick box, but my family thinks I'm the best cook in the world when I make it. So here is the recipe:

Chicken---can be breasts, thighs, legs, whatever you like--I usually use breasts or thighs with the skin removed
Onion--chopped
Bisquick---2 cups
Milk--3/4 cup
{you can double this to make more dumplings, which is what I always do}

Place your chicken in a large pot and cover with water. Add onion and bring to a boil. Reduce heat so that water is barely boiling and cook chicken for 10 minutes.

While chicken is cooking, mix Bisquick and milk in bowl. Mix well.

Add by spoonfuls on top of the chicken and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover and cook for 10 minutes more.

I always have a problem because I make so many dumplings that I need to cook them a little longer covered to make sure that they're done. If the pot starts to boil over, reduce your heat.

These taste great and you usually have a nice gravy also when they're done. Enjoy!

On another topic, I just added pictures to my other site if you'd like to take a look. If you're on Ravelry, your name could be there. http://ibbyfl.tripod.com/ibbyscreations

8 comments:

SusanB-knits said...

mmmm...chicken and dumplings. My husband loves chicken and dumplings (he is not a fan of mac and cheese but will eat it). I think I'll have to make him some chicken and dumplings. Thanks for the recipe!

Aunt Kathy said...

My husband loves dunplings too.

And I am sure your family thinks you're the greatest no matter what you cook.

Are you feeling better though? You must you are blogging.

SimplyMe said...

Yummmmmmm....and you have another site???!?!?!?!?! Yep, I'm in the dark!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm..... That sounds fabulous!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SimplyMe said...

Go Get Yourself an Etsy Storefront you goob! I just scoured your other blog. You MUST sell. You are awesome!!!

smariek said...

Sounds good. Love how it is so simple to make.

Denise and Tim Higgins said...

If you ever feel like making Tim & I some chicken & dumplings feel free mommy!!! hahah that is one of my fav food ever! :)

My Birthday

Your Birthdate: June 27
You are a spiritual soul - a person who tries to find meaning in everything. You spend a good amount of time meditating, trying to figure out life. Helping others is also important to you. You enjoy social activities with that goal. You are very generous and giving. Yet you expect very little in return. Your strength: Getting along with anyone and everyone Your weakness: Needing a good amount of downtime to recharge Your power color: Cobalt blue Your power symbol: Dove
You Are Strawberry Cake
Fresh, sassy, and romantic. You're a total flirt, who never would turn down a sugary treat. Occasionally you're a bit moody - but you usually stay sweet!