Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Teaching crochet


This morning was my craft club. I love this club! I joined it quite awhile ago, and was asked last year to take on the responsibility of sort of a president of the club. We meet once a week on Wednesday mornings from 9 until about 11 or 11:30. Everyone brings a project to work on while chatting and joking. It's such fun, and everyone has become a friend of mine. They're great ladies.


It seems like everytime I decide to do something that's a little different, everyone else wants to do it too! This makes me feel good because it means that they like what I'm making. Last year I was making purses with flowers on them, and everyone wanted to learn how to make them. So I ended up teaching my friends how to make the mesh that went around the purchased bag and how to make the flowers. I have to admit that I really enjoyed it.
Now it's happening again. I've been working on an afghan that a lady who used to come to the club gave me the pattern for after I admired the one that she had made. Now it seems like everyone wants to make it, even at my Tuesday club! So last week I helped my one friend pick out the color yarn to use and then start her afghan, and today I showed another friend how to start it. I'm happy to share what I've learned how to do. Starting this pattern can be confusing, and it actually took me a couple of tries before I understood the directions. I'm not sure if it's the directions or me!
After the club, my friend and I joined our Red Hat club to get boxes ready for Operation Shoebox to send to the troops. Operation Shoebox was started by a lady in our town who's sons were in the military overseas. She started packing shoeboxes with things they would need, such as wipes, hand lotion, soap, shampoo, comb, toothpaste--you get the idea. It caught on and she had people helping her, then churches started helping, and different groups. Finally it got national attention. I'm not sure how many boxes get sent, but it's a lot. My craft club knit and crocheted helmet hats to add to the boxes to keep heads warm under their helmets. Our groups made over 600 and other groups made them too. I think we did 160 shoeboxes today.
Tomorrow is my first Red Dress meeting. I'll let you know about that tomorrow.
Time to go crochet!

2 comments:

SimplyMe said...

Wow. I can see why you were teaching how to make that purse, it is DARLING! I love a good craft club. The only problem is that I now want to see a pic of the problem-to-start afghan. Yep, I'm never satisfied. Kudos to your group for that amazing number of helmet lines created. Way to GO!!!

SimplyMe said...

Hey there Mary Ann!

I replied to your comment with this long lovely email, and I got it returned to me. Hummmm, yeah, blogger means it when it says, "no-replyemail". At any rate, I can't wait to see your finished projects. Kudos to you for getting that big organizational project out of the way.

What did you decide to wear to the red dress dinner? Did you have fun? Hope so, and may you not need that afghan tomorrow!

My Birthday

Your Birthdate: June 27
You are a spiritual soul - a person who tries to find meaning in everything. You spend a good amount of time meditating, trying to figure out life. Helping others is also important to you. You enjoy social activities with that goal. You are very generous and giving. Yet you expect very little in return. Your strength: Getting along with anyone and everyone Your weakness: Needing a good amount of downtime to recharge Your power color: Cobalt blue Your power symbol: Dove
You Are Strawberry Cake
Fresh, sassy, and romantic. You're a total flirt, who never would turn down a sugary treat. Occasionally you're a bit moody - but you usually stay sweet!